There are a number of additional resource links on the "E-sources" tab at the top or left of the page. Many of these resources are appropriate for any age group. None are inappropriate, they may just be of a higher grade-level and therefore not something a student coming to this tab would use academically. Feel free to explore any tab and if there are any questions, please ask the librarian!
Shippensburg University Library Databases for Kids
Off campus access to the library databases requires a (faculty, staff, or university student) Shippensburg ID
Search Engines for Kids
WolframAlpha WolframAlpha is a computational search engine. If students have any questions involving numbers, Wolfram Alpha is the place to go. Wolfram Alpha can be used for other searches, but it’s not nearly as useful for general inquiries as it is for computational questions.
SweetSearch.com is a search engine for kids (higher elementary to middle school) where articles are approved by researchers.
- Kidtopia - Kidtopia is a Google custom student safe search engine for preschool and elementary students, indexing only educator approved websites.
Fun Learning Stuff
- Great Websites for Kids - a database of great websites for students, parents and teachers compiled by the ALA
- DK FindOut - What do you want to find out?
- Fact Monster - an online encyclopedia, dictionary, thesaurus, atlas, timelines and almanac; also has homework help, games and holiday calendars
- Sports Illustrated for Kids Online - online magazine for elementary age children that includes interviews with sports heroes, comics, action photos and more.
- Ranger Rick - online magazine for kids ages 7 and up featuring animal photos, colorful drawings and stories about nature, outdoor adventure and helping the environment.
- Ranger Rick Zoobooks - online magazine for kids with each issue featuring a different animal with photos, facts, diagrams, descriptions, and interactive activity pages.
- National Geographic Kids - published for the National Geographic Society for kids 8-14 and covers a wide variety of topics from geography to adventure, wildlife and science. Includes links to stories, fun facts,games and other activities.
- Time Magazine for Kids (Grades K to 6) - Click through and scroll down for four grade specific editions of Time for Kids and their financial literacy magazine. They have opened their 2020 content to be available without paid subscription through the end of the school year.
Author's Purpose Games
Wipe Out Bullying-Information
- NetSmartz - a website for kids and parents about being smart on the internet