THIS PAGE WILL LIST RESOURCES FOR LIBRARY, LITERARY, AND EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES and is a work in progress...
In the upcoming weeks while schools are closed and in-person classes are suspended, Ms. Orseno will be available via Zoom or email to answer research, book suggestion, or other library questions. When the Zoom room is open, a link will be posted on the Luhrs Library home page with the hours of availability. Email is always an option at firstname.lastname@example.org and she will answer as soon as it is possible, most likely during the hours of 9:00 am and 12:30 pm M-F.
Fun Online Reads
- The Ickabog, by J.K. Rowling: An original fairy tale for children in lockdown. The story will be serialised for free online, find out more here.
Online Author/Illustrator Fun
- Join Jarrett J. Krosoczka, author and illustrator of Star Wars; Jedi Academy, Lunch Lady series, Max for President, and many other books as he draws every day during isolation. These videos are accessed from this link in my YouTube channel, so ask your parents for permission before accessing.
- Author and illustrator, Dav Pilkey, shares "how to draw" videos and a special Dogman read-aloud from his home during quarantine. Take a break and be creative with Dav Pilkey at Home fun and free activities from Scholastic.
Virtual STEAM Summer Camps & Classes (that are free!)
- Free virtual camps for K-12 students from Chess to Recycled Art to Fractured Fairytales to being a Detective to Traveling the World to Science Labs, Coding, Dinosaurs, Digital Photography and SO MUCH MORE! Check these free camps out for something fun to do this summer right from home (I think I will too!)
- Free online classes for K-9th students where they can learn the of the art computer technologies such as AI, coding, and robotics, with experienced teachers. Classes include Scratch, Python, Roblox, Create your own music with AIVA (an AI Composer), Minecraft Modding, and more.
Online E-Books & Databases for Kids
- TumbleBook Library - wide variety of books for K-6th grades; story books made into read along videos, true read along eBooks from early readers to chapter books; read yourself eBooks; graphic novel eBooks; National Geographic videos; French and Spanish read along video books; puzzles and games
- PA KIDS POWER Library - databases for kids: if link does not go straight to the site, use E-library card number: 24752000486538... or get your own E-card HERE. This goes for ANY of the 3 sites below that are part of the Kids Power Library.
- BookFlix - books that have been made into read along videos (fiction)and turn-the-page non-fiction for elementary school children; games; meet the creators
- TrueFlix - non-fiction books on history, science & nature come to life for elementary children; non-fiction videos
- Kids InfoBits - database used to find information on topics like animals, arts, geography, health, literature, people, social studies, and technology
- Amazon Audible Stories - Free streaming collection of stories in six different languages for children to listen to on desktop, laptop, phone, or tablet.
Cumberland County Libraries- Public libraries of Cumberland County offering eBook access search and checkout online (you will need a Cumberland County public library card to access these books). They also offer virtual story times and book clubs.
Franklin County Libraries - Public libraries of Franklin County offering eBook access with search and checkout online (you will need a Franklin County public library card to access these books). They also offer virtual story times and individual library social media pages are full of fun online offerings.
Fun Educational Sites for Kids
- Ben's Guide to the U.S. Government - a Government Publishing Office (GPO) site designed to inform and educate students about the Federal Government through a fun format with Ben Franklin as guide. Also accessible through PA Power Kids.
- PA Photos and Documents - Explore photos and documents from libraries in Pennsylvania. You will be amazed at what you find, from movie history and sports to the Civil War and yearbooks. Also accessible through PA Power Kids.
STEAM Section (Things To Make or Do)
- 44 free engineering and science experiments, all of which demonstrate basic principles of science and physics, and are buildable with common household items including balloons, plastic bottles, dish soap, and eggs. From balloon car races to lava lamps and a cardboard chair to an underwater volcano. Are you up for the challenge? Check out this site and download the 44 challenge cards to get started!
- LEGO building challenges to do at home taught by master builders! New activities and videos are added every Wednesday.
Search Engines for Kids
- Kidtopia - http://www.kidtopia.info/ Kidtopia is a Google custom student safe search engine for preschool and elementary students, indexing only educator approved websites.
- KidRex - http://www.kidrex.org/ Fun and safe search for kids, by kids.
Subscriptions for Kids
- Time Magazine for Kids (Grades K to 6) - Click through and scroll down for four grade specific editions of Time for Kids and their financial literacy magazine. Available for limited time.
Wipe Out Bullying-Information
http://site.ebrary.com/lib/cyberbullying Cyber Bullying Searchable Information Center