uniE610 Skip to main content

Faculty Services

Public Viewing Rights

Obtaining Copyright Permission for Public Performances

  • Public performance rights usually need to be purchased when a film is scheduled to be shown outside the normal classroom setting.  Combined classes, film festivals, and club events are examples of settings and activities that would likely require the acquisition of performance rights in advance of a viewing.
  • When requesting performance rights for your event be sure to:
    • Allow sufficient time for permissions to be requested and received. This can be a lengthy process.
    • Confirm that sufficient resources are available.  Charges incurred for performance rights can be quite expensive.
    • Consider how a denial of rights would affect your event. Some producers or vendors will not consent to a showing or their charges may be prohibitive.
  • For more information, or to obtain performance rights, contact Nicole Kunkle (ndzinn@ship.edu / x 1464)

For more information

For more information on Copyright, see the Library's main Copyright page.