The Little Red Schoolhouse as it looks now on the campus of Shippensburg University.
(#42 on the Campus Map at About the Library)
Library - Main Gallery
The Little Red Schoolhouse at Ship was originally located at Mount Jackson, or Potato Point, near Newburg. Built in 1865, it was in use as a school until 1954. In 2006 the SU Archives & Special Collections Librarian, Karen Daniel, received an email from Jonathan Zimmerman, a professor of Education and History at New York University. He was writing a book about the history and legacy of the one-room schoolhouse and was interested in the history of the schoolhouse on our campus. Dr. Zimmerman reviewed materials from the SU Archives which contributed to his book, Small Wonder: The Little Red Schoolhouse in History and Memory.
In 2009, Shippensburg University was selected by the Pennsylvania Humanities Commission to be the site for Jonathan Zimmerman’s TV program on one-room schoolhouses. The episode was taped before a live audience on April 30, 2011 in our schoolhouse. The Pennsylvania Humanities Council produces Humanities on the Road, a television series that airs on the Pennsylvania Cable Network. The program will be broadcast on PCN-TV in November 2011.
The Gallery display features numerous photos and related text regarding our Little Red Schoolhouse:
· The Little Red Schoolhouse at Mount Jackson
· Reconstruction of the Little Red Schoolhouse
· Teaching in the Little Red Schoolhouse
· The Little Red Schoolhouse on Television
The Little Red Schoolhouse in its
Reconstruction of the Potato Point school