Shippensburg University was founded in 1871 as the Cumberland Valley State Normal School. For more than a century, the institution prepared teachers for public schools of the Commonwealth. It was renamed Shippensburg State Teachers College in 1927, and Shippensburg State College in 1960. In July, 1983, it was again renamed to Shippensburg University of Pennsylvania. SU is one of 14 universities in the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education.
The University Archives maintains institutional records, which document the history of our university. Information about the campus, buildings, history, students, faculty, administration, and alumni can be found in a variety of sources.
This is only a selection of our archival holdings. If you have a research question, please contact Archives & Special Collections staff for assistance.
The original campus complex, including Old Main, Horton Hall, Stewart Hall, Gilbert Hall, and the Martin House (the president's residence), has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is known as the Cumberland Valley State Normal School Historic District, reflecting the university's original name.
The document below contains a historical overview of campus buildings past and present, and includes the dates buildings were dedicated, renovated, or demolished; brief histories of the buildings; and the current use of the buildings. The information was last updated in March 2017.